Does anyone have proven special tips for keeping dough(made from scratch) crispy and flaky after baking (other than letting stretched dough rest a few minutes before rolling)

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

no, as soon as it cools the dough starts to absorb moisture from the air and also moisture continues to migrate from the filling to the outside of the baked dough. the crispness of freshly baked dough cannot last. alas, lost to moisture that is all around us. enjoy while you can. I do love to hear that crUnch of well baked pastry

Several things can help.  Fill and freeze.  Bake off the day needed as close to serving time as possible..  Be sure to bake long enough to get it crispy initially.  

Do not cover.  If adding a syrup, as in Baklava, use the syrup hot if the product is cold. Conversely, add a cold syrup to a hot product.

Especially, do not refrigerate.  How to you prep the phyllo?  Do you use the book method?  What do you use between the leaves? 

if you are using a stretched strudel dough, my one recommendation is when you brush with butter sprinkle some panko bread crumbs (you can season them with cinnamon, etc if you like) before you fill.

Like Helen mentioned, I would freeze and bake when needed.  We often made smaller strudels and froze them, pulling them and baking them off before service.

Beyond that, I am afraid Strudel is simply one of those items you can not expect hold well.  Everything is going to work against the crispy texture from filling, humidity, refrigeration...like Souffle, this is best served immediately.  You have a slightly more generous window of time and it is not nearly as temperamental (once you get through the stretching process), but it does have a limited shelf life once it has been baked.  I wish there was a trick I could share, but so far, I haven't found a way to delay the inevitable here :)

I also agree with Helen about freezing and baking. This is what we have been doing for years now and so far it has been working for us.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

AllChefs, a social platform for chefs, fosters online connections among professionals in the culinary, food, and dessert industries.

Sponsored Content

Tasty Food Photography eBook

Latest Activity

AllChefs updated their profile
Oct 4
KATE KWAME is now a member of AllChefs
Oct 4
Gerhard Petzl posted a blog post
May 7
Gerhard Petzl posted a status
"An entire room made out of chocolate! 1500 kg (3300 pounds) and over 5000 hours needed. http://www.gerhardpetzl.com/the-chocolate-room"
May 7
Gerhard Petzl posted photos
May 7
Blue Lohse updated their profile
May 5
James Bonine and Anissa Hopkins are now friends
May 4
Anissa Hopkins updated their profile
May 4

Advertise with Us

We offer several advertising solutions across our network of sites, our print publication, and events.

Read about our Digital Advertising Solutions and request our Rate Card >>

Download the DessertProfessional.com Digital Mediakit.

Events

© 2017   Created by AllChefs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service