Some of my ganaches have been crumbly recently and I am not sure why. I develop my own recipes and I try to stick to the ratios of chocolate to cream and other liquid ingredients. I don't know if I need more liquid or more fat. The finished truffles taste great, but they are a pain to cut. Anyone have any suggestions?

Views: 273

Replies to This Discussion

Are you getting the chocolate too hot and causing it to sieze?  or maybe over whipping?

That might be the case. I have found that if I temper the chocolate before adding the cream/liquid (which takes much longer) I do not have this problem. I made an eggnog ganache yesterday and brought the eggnog just to a simmer before pouting it over the chocolate and it was perfect. Overwhipping could be a cause also. I may be overmixing when the ganache looks like it wil break.

What chocolate are you using?  I have found some chocolates do not do so well as ganache.

I use all Valrhona for my ganaches 66%, milk, and white. Sometimes I use El Rey 61%. It is usually the darks that are crumbly,  now that you mention it.

I like Valrhona and Callebout, but I like and use Guittard the most

Do you have "Chocolates and Confections" by Peter Greweling?  He goes into a lot of issues with ganache in that book. 

I'm thinking over mixing as well though. 

I have read Chocolates and Confections (several times--it is worn out, actually) and I cannot find anything about crumbly ganache. I mix all my ganaches by hand, but maybe I do overdo it some of the time. They are so smooth when I pour them in the pans to set overnight-I am surprised when some of them do turn out crumbly.

Cassie -

I am late to the game on this one but wanted to share a bit of what I was reading my Cook's magazing (of all places).  I will quote some passages:  "The food processor, immersion blender and stand mixer all produced truffles that weren't as smooth as I'd hoped."  "...the high speed mixing was incorporating too much air...."  "more specifically, the droplets of fat were coating the surface of the air bubbles instead of the cocoa particles; as a result, the cocoa particles absorbed water and stuck together in larger clumps that we were detecting as graininess."  Therefore, no whisk, no mechanical equipment, etc.  Also, no chilling in fridge but allow to cool at room temp. Explanation:  "When melted chocolate cools and resolidified, the crystalline structure of its cocoa butter is reorganized.  Chilling the ganache in the refrigerator produces a more stable crystalline structure that melts at higher than body temperature, leading to a perception of graininess."  Cook's cooled at room temp first THEN but in fridge for two hours (this also helped with shaping).

There is much more in the article about ratio of cream to chocolate, corn syrup, butter, etc. but I thought the above might provide some info. 

Happy truffling!

Pamela

Hi Pamela

Thank you for your input. It sounds like that issue of Cook's magazine is very informative. Which issue is it? I mix my ganaches by hand, never with a blender, etc, but I may be over mixing in order to keep the immulsion. I never  put my ganaches in the fridge, always at room temp overnight, so that is not the problem I would love to read that magazine article--I love the chemistry of the ganache process!

Here's another website I bookmarked a while back that seems to specialize in chocolates.  Maybe someone there can give you a more technical answer.  http://www.thechocolatelife.com/

Thanks John. I will look into the website. I am familiar with the group from LInked In. Once I get on these websites, I can't seem to pull myself off!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

AllChefs, a social platform for chefs, fosters online connections among professionals in the culinary, food, and dessert industries.

Sponsored Content

Tasty Food Photography eBook

Latest Activity

Robert Parkins updated their profile
Feb 6
Tish Boyle and Mourad Errada are now friends
Jan 9
AllChefs updated their profile
Oct 4, 2017
KATE KWAME is now a member of AllChefs
Oct 4, 2017
Gerhard Petzl posted a blog post
May 7, 2017
Gerhard Petzl posted a status
"An entire room made out of chocolate! 1500 kg (3300 pounds) and over 5000 hours needed. http://www.gerhardpetzl.com/the-chocolate-room"
May 7, 2017
Gerhard Petzl posted photos
May 7, 2017
Blue Lohse updated their profile
May 5, 2017

Advertise with Us

We offer several advertising solutions across our network of sites, our print publication, and events.

Read about our Digital Advertising Solutions and request our Rate Card >>

Download the DessertProfessional.com Digital Mediakit.

Events

© 2018   Created by AllChefs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service